Sunday, October 5, 2008

Plotting ... Do you plan ... or do you panster?!

Okay. Plotting! I've recently completed a plotting bootcamp at Rose Colored Glasses and I actually found it quite enlightening! You see, I'm a notorious panster, and I often complete 5-6 rewrites to pull everything together. I know it will take me a few practice runs to learn to plan out my plots. The main thing I need to remember is that the plot isn't written in concrete and if I want to change something, I can...

Now, are you a plotter or a panster and how do you sort out your plots ... I'm not asking for all your secret writing techniques, just a few tips for us pansters who might want to change our panster ways.

Plotting takes practice ... unfortunately ...

K

3 comments:

P.L. Parker said...

Panster - definitely

Patsy
P. L. Parker
www.plparker.com

Linda Banche said...

I'm a pantser, too, and yes, I rewrite a lot.

I have to think about things, usually as I'm walking to the library or lying in bed before I fall asleep. I then write down a general idea of the story and later expand each section. Usually a few scenes spring fully formed to mind, and I include these in my outline. Connecting the scenes is the hard part. And then, of course, I usually rearrange stuff.

This month I'm trying to plot. I'm doing essentially what I've described above, but longer than 5 pages. Since I want to write the first draft of my next novel at NaNoWriMo, I need a better than normal idea of what I intend to write before I can crank out those 50,000 words in 30 days.

Suzanne Brandyn said...

Hi Kiss,
I'm a plotter... I have the major plot in my mind. Then I come up with the sub plots..or the main things that happen. I draw up my characters, know them well and begin to write.
This usually works for me, but I find I need direction. One time the direction went completly off course but it was meant to be and suited the character.
So there, I'm a plotter. heheheh

Suz :)

Instagram