Sunday, March 29, 2009

Taking rejection gracefully

Okay, so by the title you've guessed that one of my manuscripts has been rejected. Yes! Now, I didn't take it very gracefully.

First came the sorrow - "How could the editor not like it? Oh no! Now what am I going to do?"

Then came the anger - "The editor doesn't know what she's talking about! I might just send her an email and inform her of her blatant personal opinion!" (no, I didn't)

Then came the self doubt - "I'm never writing again! I'm going to wallow on the lounge and watch tv for the rest of my life!"

Then, acceptance - "Okay, maybe I DID tell instead of show in that instance."

Then, more self doubt - "If I spend the next six months writing something else the editor won't like, that's a full year wasted! I'm never going to be published again!"

So, like thousands of other writers I will get over the rejection and soldier on...until my next rejection.

K

2 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Wow you summed up my last rejection well. We'll work on it and get it back up to speed. i promise!

hugs,

Wendi

Sami Lee said...

Too bad K, I know how hard it is. It's NOT the end of the world, or even of that ms. Another publisher may view things differently. Good luck, Sami

Instagram